Friday, June 1, 2012

My blogger page is in Chinese, Cantonese to be more specific

In Chicago, a gloomy day. 
Leg room galore. 
So it has been quite some time since I have laid down horizontally, and there has been no sleep since about 730am on the 31st. But it is okay. My flight went well. Somehow I got lucky and was given an emergency exit row- on a long flight like this it was definitely a good thing. First thing first, the food on Cathay Pacific is terrific, by far the best airline food I have ever encountered. As I mentioned, the flight went really smoothly. There were minimal crying babies, little turbulence, and a decent selection of movies to watch (in sixteen hours I watched three movies and stared at the moving plan moving across the map). This time also gave me a chance to catch up on some reading. I picked the autobiography of Steve Jobs. If you have not read it, start. I am an Apple-holic, but there is much more to Jobs than the Apple and I will leave it at that.

So finally I arrived at Hong Kong International. I wandered around the airport for a while (a twelve hour layover offers you that luxury). I tried to mask my lost wandering with a face of window shopping and browsing, but really I had no clue where I was going. It was hot, I was sweating. I decided to sit down and eat something- WITH SOME CHOPSTICKS!
Delicious. 
 It was delicious, and I say it because I am not entirely too sure what it was that I was eating. That didn't matter it was good. From there I went to exchange some money, which I hate doing because they rip you off. It's like they steal my money just to change it.




But while exchanging my money, I came across a banner on the back of some large obstruction in the middle of the walkway that showed people relaxing in the lap of luxury at the Plaza Premium Longue. This seemed like the best idea ever. So I went to find it. I searched the whole terminal (Hong Kong International is a large terminal by the way). People kept pointing me in the direction saying it was across from such and such, but with accents that I could not understand them. I was close to giving up, but then I saw it. It was an oasis to a weary traveler- the Pay-In Lounge. I thought I would just rest for a few hours and head to the gate. But alas, the man at the counter talked me into buying the ten hour pass. This included such amenities as a shower, free food and drink for the stay, and a fifteen minute massage. It did come at a cost, I paid it. Oh well. I passed on the massage and grabbed a lukewarm beer. I sat down and took off my shoes for the first time since I left my house. I read the paper, charged my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook (Emma says it's like their first trip home). After a few hours, I decided it was time for a shower. Yes, that's right- I SHOWERED IN THE MIDDLE OF AN AIRPORT! It is always surprising how much a shower can rejuvenate you and get you going again. So here I sit, fresh and clean. My flight to Bangkok is in just a few hours now, not too much longer and I will be there. Until then... No sleep 'til Bangkok (reference Beastie Boys).
Tired.






No comments:

Post a Comment